View Single Post
Old May 28, 2021, 05:06 PM   #45
Don Fischer

All interesting. Never could figure out why someone would draw a handgun instead of using the rifle. of course if the bear is on you, handgun will be a lot more maneuverable. Those photo's of carrying a slung rifle leave something to be desired for me. While stationed in Germany I learned what they call the Jaeger carry. I'm right handed and I sling my rifle over my left shoulder. When I have it there which is about all the time I am walking, my left hand has a hold of the forearm. Need the rifle quickly simply turn it up into shooting position. I find it the fastest way to mount a rifle. Sling slide's off the shoulder and gun just come's up.

came back from Germany in 1970 and stationed at Lakeside, Montana, remote radar station. Not long after I got there I was out on the north side of Flathead Lake fooling around and got to thinking about bears, got pretty spooky. So got out of there and next time I went I took a 338 mag with me. That should stop a deer! I spent four years there and been into country all around Kalispell and have never seen a grizzly! Saw tons of black bears though. Something I did start doing up there when walking in cover was I kept track of the country all around me, even behind me. In the end it never saved me from the grizzly I never saw but I was always aware of what was around me. Now I don't know if that approach would save me from a bear attack but I like to think it would certainly help!

Living in Alaska years ago I was out fishing on the Portage River. Standing out there on a gravel bar and saw an absolutely huge bear foot print, I doubt it was a black! Always carried a rifle with me after that designed to stop an attack if I could. It was a Rem 660 in 308. Beauty of the rifle was it had a short barrel and swung quickly and I had it loaded with reasonably hot 200gr Spire Point bullet's. A 100 yd shot would have been to far to shoot that at an animal, lost velocity to quickly but I had no intention of taking a shot to far off. It was for close range protection only. Folks up there had a feeling I think works about carrying a hand gun. If your carrying a 44 mag, shoot your buddy in the foot and run like hell! They just didn't have a lot of confidence in handguns. For myself, I carry a handgun about every where I go, even to the store! But fact of the matter is if the target is more than maybe 20' away, it's relatively safe from me. I'm not that great with a handgun but like fooling with them. Most people fall into that category and should think about that in advance of deploying a gun to protect themselves against man or animal. Your best shot is not going to be out around 50yds. Actually I strongly suspect most attacks begin closer than that but if the aggressor is seen that far off, I'd be ready. yea talk to the bear hoping it will leave. Talk to it while aiming a rifle at it!

Page generated in 0.03358 seconds with 8 queries