View Single Post
Old February 3, 2021, 01:01 AM   #3
CedarGrove357

Thank you so much for the time in your response 44AMP. Hopefully I can clarify. Guess I should have opened it up to "any with experience". I also didn't want the post to be too long.

Yes, we are building a "fitted" 1911 from a stripped slide and frame. We've had to fit the trigger, thumb safety, grip safety, barrel, slide stop, barrel bushing, barrel lug, extractor and the slide to frame fit. As a gunsmith school, they are carrying us through possible scenarios we would encounter when having to fit new parts into firearms. We had to then go through safety checks and test fire. I fired a single round to test, which didn't clear the extractor, but didn't stove pipe. Testing the extractor indicated it was too tight, so I adjusted and fired 3 more rounds, first stove piped, subsequent two ejected ok. slide cycled completely, and held open on last round.

In testing, completely assembled, the slide will work holding the frame in my left hand as described. When I switch hands, the slide will only move back about 1/8 of an inch before it stops. If I adjust or twist the torque from my hand that is on the slide, I can then get the slide to cycle completely back without an issue. This is repeatable.

In troubleshooting, I started removing components to attempt to isolate the offending part. I removed all components associated with the slide, hammer, mainspring housing, grip safety, thumb safety, hand spring. With only the barrel, barrel bushing and slide stop installed, I can cycle the slide and again reproduce the issue.

The part about the barrel feet was a typo. the "barrel lug" should have been the barrel link, not lug. apologies. concerning the feet, we had to fit the link to the barrel feet manually by filing the feet to fit. I measured the barrel to determine the proper link I needed to use from the kit. To check for issues of contact in the travel of the link with the slide stop pin, I would use a black sharpie to "blacken" or color the feet, assemble the slide stop through the link and activate the motion of the link to see where the pin would rub on the feet and file for clearance. After doing this a couple of time, I found the stop pin was rubbing on the feet and cleared that, but the issue remains. I do not want to continue to file on the feet, removing material ignorantly if something else could be causing the issue as well.

Hopefully this clarifies the fog a little. Thanks again so much!!

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms

Page generated in 0.03072 seconds with 8 queries