Thread: Point Shooting
View Single Post
Old December 15, 2007, 04:36 PM   #19
David Armstrong

Quote:
R1145--I consider point shooting to be the most vital skill that a shooter can own.
Matt is one of a handful of folks here in the U.S. that worked hard, often in face of lots of ridicule, to keep point shooting alive during the rise of competition-driven Modern Technique shooting. And although it took a couple of decades, folks are now returning to the combat proven discipline of point shooting. About the only ones that downplay the importance of it any more are those who have little real fighting experience or those who feel that success in a range environment is more important than than actual combat.
Quote:
Interesting that Rob Pincus teaches point shooting before aimed fire.
Col. Applegate felt the same way ....
I think that is where we started losing our way, Matt, when we began emphasizing sights first as opposed to target focus first. The old assumption, of course, was that if you could hit a target at 25 or 50 yards it would be easy to hit one at 15', so we taught the skills needed for the long-range shooting and figured the up-close stuff would take care of itself. Took a long time to learn better.

Quote:
Guys, practice using the sights and bringing the gun up to the same place each time, sights or no, and after a while you will see at closer ranges you can get good hits even if you can't see the sights.
Why would you do that for close ranges when you can get better results faster with point shooting?

Quote:
I have had a ccw instructor to tell us to always try and bring the pistol up to eye level in a two handed hold and aim. He was an LFI graduate.
I'd suggest that is good advice, as one should always try to get the best shot off that is possible. But that is the key, IMO. Frequently you don't have the time, or there are environmental or physiological constraints that are in the way. That is when point shooting shines.

Page generated in 0.02267 seconds with 8 queries