View Single Post
Old June 25, 2002, 02:07 PM   #6
Unkel Gilbey

My fireforming experience has been limited so far to just 30-30 Ackley Improved, but I've found that what's been mentioned already about seating the bullet out so that it contacts the rifling is good procedure.

As far as the load goes, it's usually recommended that you go with a 10% decrease of the normal load. What this means to me is that you load a 'normal' (i.e.: NOT improved load) load into the cases. For instance, for a 30-06 Imp, you'd seat the bullet out, and then throw the amount of powder you'd normally load to a standard 30-06 for that bullet weight.

When you think about it, when you have an Improved cartridge, you should be able to fire standard rounds in that chamber without a hitch. This was (in fact) how I got my first batch of 30-30 AI cases - by firing factory rounds through the rifle.

I'd be a bit more careful about fireforming cases in a rimless round - such as your 280 Improved. Not having that rim makes things a bit trickier. If you were to seat that bullet out a bit too far, you could cause the case to wrinkle if you used a heavy crimp, and this will give you problems. Just take your time, and get the seating depth just right, and you shouldn't have any problems with that round. Welcome to the world of Improved Cartridges!

Unkel Gilbey

Page generated in 0.02282 seconds with 8 queries