View Single Post
Old November 26, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
mmb713

Update: range report

Thanks for all of the responses. I bought a couple hundred WLP and another box of those Sierra 240gr JHCs (last one at the LGS.) I decided to use Hodgdon's data with the WLP and my new Starline cases.

I used to chrono all my loads first and look for the best velocities with the lowest SDs but have found that that method doesn't always result in best accuracy. Now I'll load for accuracy and chrono later just to see where it's at. My range testing today was only shot for accuracy, I have no chrono results. It's too hard at a public range to chrono and shoot for group at the same time, you'd be there all day waiting for the range to have a cease fire so you could change your target after every string. I will load in increments of ten rounds and shoot all ten rounds into a single group. A ten shot group should pretty well tell you if a load is good or not.

I only loaded two strings with 296 since start and max are so close together, only 0.8gr. I loaded one string at Hodgdon's start of 27.2 gr and another at 27.5gr. I also loaded three ten shot strings using AA#9 which I also had on hand. I used Sierra's data for 45 Colt (Rifle.) since they don't have data for AA#9 in their Ruger-only section. Years ago one of their techs told me that the Ruger Blackhawk is more than capable of handling those loads when I asked about using their data with N110, another powder listed in the rifle section but not the Ruger-only section. I loaded AA#9 to 20.0gr, 20.5gr and 21.0gr.

I shot the 296 loads first. Recoil was pretty heavy and accuracy was pretty mediocre. Not terrible but I know my pistol is capable of better. I would not recommend these loads to be shot in a Blackhawk with OEM stocks. Battered fingers take the fun right out of shooting. I've gone over to the dark side and put Hogue monogrips on both of my Blackhawks. I know it's sacrilege on an SA revolver but they make the revolver so much more shoot-able with the heavy stuff. I was glad I brought shooting gloves too. Extraction was uneventful, most cases fell right out and the rest came out easy enough with a tap from the ejector. Switching over to the AA#9 loads and accuracy improved with the first string and just kept getting better. The 21.0gr load was the best of the bunch. Throwing out a couple of flyers and they all went into one ragged hole. Recoil was still stout with the AA#9 but not punishing like the 296 loads.

I've done similar testing using Hornady 250gr XTPs (when you could actually find them) and found that AA#9 gave me better accuracy than 296 with those bullets too. I think if powders ever become readily available again an 8# bottle of AA#9 will need to find its way to my bench as my go to powder for heavy 45 Colt. It may not give the absolute top velocity but all that speed doesn't matter if you miss.

Page generated in 0.03380 seconds with 8 queries