View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 12:36 AM   #61
shaunpain

As far as the gentleman who got shot by the deputies, we will never be able to tell for sure if the deceased really ever pointed a pistol at them or not. We don't even know for sure if the pistol was planted. I'd like to say that we live in world of roses, but you all know we don't. Either way, it's very tragic.

As far as answering the door armed? Sure, I've done it. I've also done many other dumb things in my life. My first inkling these days would be to inquire, through a closed door, who it is. If I don't know them, I will ask them how I can help them. Where it goes from there is determined by the responses I get. Since I live in a garden apartment in Chicago, I have no lawn or belongings of importance to protect outside of my immediate dwelling. Therefore, I will not leave the confines of my abode during duress. Thankfully, and this has been this way for me for many years now, that I have no working bell to speak of and have real estate and locked doors to clear before you get to me. Nobody can even grab my attention unless they first place a call to my mobile to let me know they are there.

A couple staffers have already said it. It's very simple. Don't answer the door. I don't see the harm in asking who it is, but there is very little reason to open the door to a stranger. Maybe, just maybe, in an extreme emergency, like some guy bleeding to death at my front door (I wouldn't/couldn't refuse to help). I'll run and grab my shotgun if I've got someone trying to club my door down. However, I'd give them ample time to save their own asses by announcing that I'm shooting if they breach.

Page generated in 0.03794 seconds with 8 queries