View Single Post
Old June 19, 2017, 01:51 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I'm a believer in the theory. I've seen it first-hand.
...But it doesn't seem to be predictable.

Speed seems to be necessary. From what I've seen, I'd say 2,600 fps or faster.
And I've never seen it with anything but expanding bullets.

But, I think people get a little too hung up on the 'nervous system disruption' and forget about the rest of the concept, whereby the hydraulic pressure wave damages soft tissues.

In ... 2009, I think, I shot an antelope with a .277" 130 gr Remington Core-Lokt. Clean double-lung. Small entry. Small exit (~.54 cal). No fragments to speak of.
Liver was "shattered" from the shock wave -- literally torn into chunks with radiating lines of cleavage reminiscent of it having been frozen and smacked with a hammer. Quick death due to massive internal bleeding and hypoxia, but not a "DRT" or any indication of nervous system disruption.
That liver was a surprising find in the gut cavity of an animal that had no damage to the diaphragm or guts.

Come to think of it, that wasn't the first one, either.
In 2008, one of my brothers punched a broad-side antelope right through the heart with a .277" 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (hunting version). That was one of the most impressive DRT shots I've seen. That speed goat dropped like a rock and never so much as twitched after it hit the ground.

In that case, I do believe there was nervous system disruption, but the bigger surprise came from the Ballistic Tip seeming to penetrate through all of the muscle and then "detonate" just outside the heart in the left lung. The base continued through the animal and exited with a ~.70 caliber hole.
Heart and lungs were just soup with some bullet fragments mixed in. The liver, just as we would find the next year, was absolutely "shattered", even though no bullet fragments had touched it and it was on the other side of the diaphragm.

And, since then, there have been a few more speed goats and elk that showed signs of the shock wave doing significant damage.

I have never seen a "tough" bullet do it, though -- things like Nosler Partitions, Norma Oryx, etc.
And even nearly identical shots on the same type of game, with bullets that have gone "hydrostatic" in the past, may not give the same results.

All anecdotal evidence and my opinion... Take it for whatever it's worth to you.

Page generated in 0.03542 seconds with 8 queries