View Single Post
Old December 22, 2007, 09:09 AM   #14
jad0110

As others have indicated, NC is a little different than most states. Overall, I'd say NC is fairly gun friendly, but it varies widely based on the county.

Here in Craven county, you can get pistol purchase permits within minutes of walking into the Sherrif's office, and it takes about 1 to 2 weeks to process a CCW permit (and a CCW takes the place of pistol permits). On the other hand, I know our Carteret county neighbors take as long as 60 to 90 days to process a CCW.

Overall, most counties east of I-95 and in the mountains are very gun friendly. Some of the counties in the central part of the state are not so friendly. Durham NC is about as un-gun friendly as you can get in NC. Every few years, they try to pass a bill banning handgun (like D.C.) ownership within city limits .

Also, our concealed carry laws are a little ridiculous. We are a shall issue state, which is good, but some of the restrictions on where we can carry are just plain asinine. Like most states, we cannot carry concealed when on state or federal property and ANY educational property (private or public). We also cannot CCW while consuming alcohol. But we also cannot carry into an establishment that serves alcohol (like Applebees), even if we don't drink ! We also can't carry into an establishment that charges admission (movie theaters, fairs, sporting events) or places of public gathering (parades, funerals, other community events). Heck, gun shows charge admission, so I guess CCW isn't allowed there either.

What state are you moving from? We could at least give you a simple "it will be better or worse in NC" summary. For example, moving from an Eastern Bloc state (Mass, Conneticut, NY), Illinois or Commifornia would be an improvement, but you'd be giving up some RKBA freedoms by moving from Utah, Florida, Texas, Virginia and Alabama.

Overall, I would call NC a "free state".

Page generated in 0.03665 seconds with 8 queries