View Single Post
Old October 19, 2013, 04:04 AM   #9
JustSomeGuy

I have fired many thousands of lead bullets (mostly 180grn) in my various 40caliber pistols. I have no leading issues, but these bullets are moving at speeds only appropriate to a power factor of about 170-175 or so, so they are in the 945-975fps range mainly which is no strain for a lead bullet. Most of my cast bullets come from SNS Casting. They are pretty hard bullets, but like has been said, lead should be at least .001 over bore size, which generally means .401 in the 40cal or .356 in the 9mm (I have shot lots of 9mm lead bullets too with good results.).

Lighter bullets at full velocity do recoil more than heavier bullets at their intended velocity. Light bullets for the caliber use much more powder to drive to reasonable power levels, and more powder will, in the end, mean more recoil.

Various powders will work well with lead and others not so much. Hotter powders like TiteGroup are abysmal with lead and will cause smoke to the point of obscuring the target in a string of fire. Some people say it is only the lube on the lead bullet, but though you cannot see it, I think some lead is being vaporized as well to make the smoke. Silhouette, True Blue, and WSF being very cool burning powders produce hardly any smoke and are in the correct power and burn range for the .40 anyway. Unique works well, but again smokes up the place if using lead bullets. All in all Silhouette is one of the best powders for 40 S&W for a wide range of loads and bullet types. It is also treated for "flash" and will be more pleasant to shoot in low light as well as when used for defensive loads. Longshot also works well if you are going for higher velocity with heavier bullets for the caliber, and again, works pretty well with lead as well as other bullet types.

Page generated in 0.02503 seconds with 8 queries