View Single Post
Old February 15, 2020, 11:06 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
H110 does not require magnum primers. Won't matter if you do though.
I've yet to ever see a published .357 recipe using H110/W296, that does not specify the use of Magnum Primers tho. That tells me something.

IME, H110/W296 likes threes things to be consistent in .357. A stout crimp, a full full case and a magnum primer. What makes H110/W296 such a good magnum primer, also make it hard to ignite. This is why the three above things tend to be important. Now, use max charges, and a heavy crimp and you may not need a magnum primer in .357. But start at minimum and use a light crimp with a plated bullet and your odds of producing a squib or sticking a bullet, have just escalated. Why not use a magnum primer and be safe, especially when the magnum primer, making ignition more consistent, will probably give you better groups?

I've found that in larger cases like my .44s and my .460, with much more powder volume, that magnum primers do not make the difference they do in .357. Yet, in .44 they tend to give me more consistent velocities. I still use them in my .460 loads since I hunt in below zero temps sometimes and H110/W296 tends to be temperature sensitive.

As I said in the beginning of this post, I've yet to ever see a published .357 recipe using H110/W296 that does not include the use of Magnum Primers. For the OP, I suggest he stick with the load that gives him the best accuracy, while still staying within the parameters of published recipes. A few more FPS is not a even trade off for a few less MOAs.

Page generated in 0.01842 seconds with 8 queries