View Single Post
Old July 8, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1
ckpj99

What is Accurate/Precise Offhand Shooting?

So I've been working on my offhand (standing unsupported) shooting. I'm shooting a Marlin 336 with standard iron sights, no optics. I'm almost exclusively practicing at 50 yards as I just don't have regular access to a longer range.

Obviously, I'm comparing my current accuracy to how I have shot in the past. This is satisfying, but I'd really like to have some sort of standard to begin working for.

The old Civil War sharpshooters had to shoot 10 shots in a 10" circle at 200 yards (obviously, they had equipment limitations). I have no clue what current military qualifications for expert riflemen are, although I know speed and transitions are part of the test. There's a 50 meter international/Olympic rifle event, and the 10 ring for that event is .4 inches in diameter.

I haven't been striving for precise offhand rifle shooting for all that long, but considering my equipment, I think I'm doing pretty well. Where do I stand? Should I sell my rifles and take up knitting? Or should I sell my rifles and invest in an Anschutz?

Here was today's fun little challenge. This is a typical group, but not a typical target, lol.

Page generated in 0.03572 seconds with 8 queries