View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 12:58 PM   #13
WallyM3

There are a lot of thoughtful responses since my last post. They deserve full replies from me and I'll try my best to do that.

Hummer70: Thanks for the leads on alternatives. Filed for future reference.

In a random sample of ten cases, I get and average measurement (at 12 and 3 o'clock so to speak) @ roughly 2/10" of 0.469" +/- 0.001", with one obvious bulge measuring 0.474". SAAMI calls out 0.4708" @ the 0.200" datum line, so the cases (there are 2,700 of them) should not pose a challenge to a properly cut die. The few cases that I managed to size through this die measure 0.465" at (roughly) the same datum line.

The form die is a new Hornady "Custom Grade" sizer. I reduced the diameter of the expander button to 0.305" and polished it, but that should have no effect on the performance of the die as a whole.

The case headstamps (of the sample) range from '62 to '78, all HPX.

I didn't know the the FA machinery had gone to Greece.

F. Guffey: I think I miscommunicated my cleaning operation. I've used this series of steps for some years now, on everything from the grungiest to new, unfired cases. It's just my way of doing things. Excess cleaning can't hurt anything and the citric acid bath passivates the brass (I think I've got the term right) and helps clean the primer pockets better than tumbling alone. This I view as a good thing since I'm reloading for Garand-type actions mostly.

I have no trouble forming cases for short chambers. I merely turn of the required amount from the base of the die. My most recent job turned a .41 Magnum die into a .41 Special die. With that much material to play with, I was able to determine that a carbide insert with a positive rake produced the best finish, which I then polished anyway. I don't have a cylindrical grinder in the shop anymore, so I don't mess with carbide sleeved dies.

My approach to this short chamber is governed by the fact that it's a Garand.

I use Wilson case gages to check every round I load for M1s and M1As.

Maj Dad: Thank you for the baking pan, etc., info.

It's my understanding that folks who clean cases in the course of their business primarily use corncob media. But I'm old and dislike change, so I'll probably persist in my folly. I like the results, can find my cases in the grass and nobody gets hurt (LOL).

Rodfac: Again, being an eccentric, my practice departs from that of more sensible people in that I decap in a single operation. That is, I decap with a purpose made die, then proceed to cleaning. I remove the pin from the sizing, adjust the die with the button rod withdrawn sufficiently to clear the bottom of the case, then lower the rod by hand threading until it touches the web, then back it up two turns. Most rods hace threads around the 28 pitch area, so that means the bottom of the button is about 0.080" clear and well below the neck of any case I might be sizing.

The dies came in a sealed Hornady box just a week ago and neither the die nor the box was marked SB. The results of the cases I was able to size seem to support that they're standard dies.

Although it's not on thee list currently (at least what I got on the internet), there are no 7.62x63 weapons in the Hellenic Army at present, but I remember reading that they had a bunch or 1919 Brownings. I don't know about Garands or other '06 chambered weapons, so I really can't say what these cases were fired through.

Hope there aren't too many errors in this rather long post. But there was a lot to address.

Page generated in 0.03272 seconds with 8 queries