View Single Post
Old January 8, 2018, 11:16 PM   #16
5whiskey

Quote:
I must say, admitting up front that you're a felon and a prohibited person doesn't exactly entice someone to sell you a gun that could possibly be traced back to them.
Federal law does not require you to conduct a background check to ensure the purchaser is not a convicted felong during a private sell. It just says you cannot KNOWINGLY sell to a convicted felon. Telling the seller you are a felon is part of what's needed to make it a crime, hence its part of the setup.

Without saying too much... I am LEO and I do work with ATF frequently. I can tell you that the ATF monitors gunbroker, arms list, et all... But they have just about given up on U/C cases involving online sells unless the ad insinuates they are willing to break the law. There was one investigation recently that involved the sale of a post '86 G18 (actually a converted G17). The posting was quickly flagged, but not before communication was started with the seller. In the end, it was a class III ffl who wanted proof of the purchaser having a class III ffl, making it legal.

Online gun sales sometimes do allow felons to access firearms. I have learned this through a couple of interviews. It is super rare though. And that was admittedly, by them, not their only avenue of obtaining a firearm. They just wanted something with more class than a Saturday night special, which is the most common street sold gun.

Page generated in 0.02801 seconds with 8 queries