View Single Post
Old January 2, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

You don't say whether the problems you mention are new or have been there, all along. Sounds like two or more problems.

Stove-piping suggests that the extractor is losing its grip before the case hits the ejector. A lot of CZ-pattern guns seem to have problems with Winchester White Box ammo. Back when I was shooting it (years ago), it had a strangely-shaped extractor groove by the rim, and it would not let some extractors get a good grasp on the casing. You might try a stronger extractor spring, and the CZ spring (from Wolff) might work. (Or shoot some other ammo. I like Sellier & Bellot and Blazer... or Georgia Arms' Canned Heat.)

The slide not closing properly could be several things, especially if this is a new behavior.

When it does cycle properly, and IF your spent cases are being sent a great distance, it may simply be a tired recoil spring. (I don't know if Wolff carries IMI/Baby Eagle parts, but some CZ/Witness springs might work. Magnum Research can probably get you a spring, if that seems to be the problem.

Check to see that there's no buildup of lead/crap in the chamber.

If the spent cases aren't being sent great distances, something (perhaps the ammo) may not be up to spec -- and the IRREGULAR nature of the problem suggests that. Before you do anything else, try some better quality ammo and see if the problem goes away.

A bad magazine might have something to do with the problem, but generally, when mags are bad they're bad all the time, not just part of the time. (Exception: weak mag springs may hot work properly when the mags are full, but will work better with just a few rounds. in it.) Check the other stuff first before worrying about mags.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 2, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries