View Single Post
Old January 29, 2014, 05:17 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
As stated earlier this is all new to me. I had INCORRECTLY assumed my FFL would hold the gun acting as a middle man until I paid the cash. Since that is not the case I'm not willing to send $800 plus out of state to someone I've never met. The ad is not on gun broker so there is no history. It's most likely legit but it is too much cash to take the risk. Is it legal for me to meet a seller at his FFL in Georgia and make the transaction there using my NC CC?
As others have already confirmed, the receiving FFL in your state is not acting as your agent or as an escrow agent. He is only running the background check and processing the paperwork to transfer the firearm to you.

The customary terms for remote sales include a 3-day (from date of receipt at your FFL) inspection period, but that has to be agreed upon in advance between buyer and seller. That means you have to be able to get to your FFL within three days of when HE receives the package so YOU can inspect YOUR purchase. The three-day inspection period normally does NOT allow you to shoot the gun.

If you inspect it and decide you don't want it, you lose the cost of shipping in both directions (unless something else has been previously agreed between you and the seller).

If you choose to buy a gun in this way, the safest way to do it is to send a US Postal Service money order. If the seller pulls any shenanigans, you can then report him to the Postal Service for mail fraud and let the postal inspectors go chew on his tail.

Page generated in 0.02919 seconds with 8 queries