View Single Post
Old March 23, 2010, 10:22 PM   #5
88KEYS

I think that if the file is sealed they, yes even the police will have a hard time getting your records. I suspect it was a Juvenile crime and in most States that file goes away. However in some States the Juvenile conviction can bar a person from owning a firearm, some Felony charges will follow you. Also in some States the Juvenile system can impose a sentence even if probation that can go until age 21, moving the Juvenile offense into the Adult “time period” past age 18.

I used to issue carry permits and can say the other post is correct, if they “must issue” then the burden is on them to prove you are not entitled to a carry or pistol ownership permit. I know that it is easy to turn people away, however when you make application the clock starts ticking. It depends on the language of the law, in my State I was very pro gun and would issue unless they were clearly prohibited. I also applied common sense an old sealed conviction, then military service, sound ok to me. Other jurisdictions were known to be tougher; guys at my club would tell me all the problems they were having.

So after all this from my experience as one that issued them (now retired LEO), I would make application make sure you have all the required stuff, check, and safety class. I would enclose a cover letter explaining the situation and telling them the State said you have no problems. In my case once application was made, I had to deal with it and had time requirements in the Law 30 days for residents, 60 days if you lived out of State in the past 10years.

Try that just turn it in, see what they do, then if they deny look at the appeal process. If the person has a boss and we all do, talk with them if you cannot work it out. Then a lawyer is expensive but it might just take a letter from a lawyer to get them moving.

Page generated in 0.03756 seconds with 8 queries