View Single Post
Old February 3, 2010, 03:15 PM   #85
Jobfix

Strangest Incident

Was on trip with my neighbor and his two sons John 12 & David 13 yrs. old Hunting Quail & Chinese Red Leg Partridge in California's Mojave Desert
The brothers get along as normal kids do, they have occasional squabbles, but they are responsible boys.
We were moving across the desert attempting to flush a covey of quail we had just spotted that morning. The boys were about 30yds. apart, we had a rule if quail flush behind use know where your muzzle is pointed if you turn to shoot, Safety 1st then the target. As we stalked there was a commotion over towards the boys I turned to see David backing up as John fired his shotgun. This happened so quickly I didn't believe what I thought was happening. "OMG!" We rushed over to the scene, the younger boy pointed to a bush, there beneath it was a huge snake. Upon examination, it was a Mojave Green Rattle Snake, a "fat one", just under 6' long. David said it had stood up & was rattling when John ran over and shot it. This was before Mobile Phones, nearest town for snake anti-toxin was forty miles. We were very thankful...

Page generated in 0.05114 seconds with 8 queries