View Single Post
Old December 29, 2009, 07:12 PM   #72
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Randall
just as long as everyone accepts HIS definition. I object to his claim on the following grounds
That was the definition I believe the Founding Fathers understood. I believe that because the historical facts showing what the militia was then is plain. I think you would be at odds therefore with the Founding Fathers.

Quote:
Do you deny that Fletcher used that term in only that one very limited and specific meaning?
I believe that Fletcher used the term as he believed it to mean and not the way it was in the early US. Furthermore I disagree that Fletcher's definition was the predominate view of what a militia was at that time. In fact I think he was rather fringe in that regard.

Quote:
Do you deny that the framers were literate men of their time and had an understanding of the language and terminology as used and as understood in that time?
Yes they were learned men and they fashioned the militia to be a body of armed citizens, with some military training, who may be called to temporary active military service in times of emergency. Furthermore, they gave the Congress unprecendented control over the militia which alarmed the states and hemce the second amendment was ratified to reassure them of their local control over their resepctive militias.

Quote:
Do you say the framers used the phrase "well regulated militia" in a manner that was something other than the long accepted understanding of people of that time?
No I do not. However, I do not think either you or Mr. Fletcher are using the common and proper understanding of what a militia was during that period of time.

I recommend you continue to read the other parts of the source. Lots of good info and references.

Page generated in 0.02392 seconds with 8 queries