View Single Post
Old April 2, 2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Theohazard

You picked a great silencer. I used to work at an FFL/SOT, and after deciding between the top 9mm cans, I went with the Octane. I think it's the best pistol can on the market. Here's a thread I wrote about the Octane compared to the other two most popular pistol silencers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJACKET
From what I have read this is correct for a fixed barrel which I assume is the Ruger. Is this also correct for the conversion kit?
Yes. If the barrel doesn't move, then it will work fine. If you use the fixed-barrel setup on a locked-breech pistol where the barrel tips up, you won't hurt anything but the action won't cycle properly because you removed the LID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJACKET
Second, the dealer really tried to convince me to not use the Octane 9 on 22LR.
Your dealer has no idea what he's talking about. I've heard directly from a Silencerco rep that it's fine to use .22 in an Octane 9. And that makes total sense because the Octane has the same baffle design as their Spectre .22 suppressor, it's just bigger and has a LID. And, surprisingly, the Octane is actually quieter with .22 than a Spectre is. I know this because I've tested it myself with my Octane 9 and my friend's Spectre.

The only real difference in cleaning the Octane vs. the Spectre is the expansion chamber baffle can be difficult to get out depending on which version you have. Here's a thread on that subject from a popular silencer forum. Also, keep in mind that the outer tube on the Spectre is stainless steel but the Octane's is aluminum, so you have to be a little more careful with which chemicals you use to clean the Octane's tube.

Page generated in 0.02802 seconds with 8 queries