View Single Post
Old September 29, 2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Why not simply make a run for it in the opposite direction? The shooter is going to be focused on targets closest to them and they probably will not give chase. You wont have a weapon or equipment and can probably run faster then the shooter who is weighed down probably with at least 20 lbs.
So, you have determined already the number of shooters, their location, physical condition, and carrying capacity? Such omniscience of usually absent from such situations at the time of the situation.

Already, one of your assumptions about weight is definitely in error for many, if not most US active shooters. They are not carrying 20+ pounds of gear. Most are armed with a single pistol, some with a single rifle, and others with a single shotgun.

So you run. That can be good or bad. As noted, it really depends on the situation. At Luby's and Ft. Hood, it was reported that when the shooter saw movement, he would shoot at it. I agree that if you can increase your distance to the danger, you reduce the danger, but you must be able to do so without first increasing your risk to the danger. Distance is your friend, but not if attaining distance results in you getting killed. Distance is also relative. Roy Dell Schmidt was over 500 yards distant from Charles Whitman.

You can run, but can you outrun a bullet?

People, upon hearing gunfire inside of enclosed spaces, often confuse the direction. It happens outside as well. Are you sure you are running away?

Keep your options open. Underestimating the skills and capabilities of your opponent can get you killed.

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries