View Single Post
Old June 13, 2018, 06:19 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Safety concerns are very important. Dryfiring is one of the most common ways that guns are unintentionally discharged. Intentionally pulling the trigger when there is no intent to discharge the firearm violates one of the big 3 gun safety rules. That means it's all the more critical to adhere to the remaining gun safety rules. Check, double-check and triple-check. If you set the gun down or get distracted, check again before going back to dryfiring.

I do my dryfiring using a gun that has a heavy double-action trigger to get maximum benefit from the exercise. I concentrate on a smooth trigger pull that doesn't move the sights AND also on releasing the trigger pull back to the starting point--still without moving the sights.

I try to keep the trigger pull reasonably fast--keeping the sights rock solid is important, but not if it takes an inordinately long time to pull the trigger. Also, taking a really long time to pull the trigger seems to contribute to flinching and fatigue.

I practice getting on target and pulling the trigger without unnecessary delay--trying to get the sights aligned in the process of moving them onto the target and managing the trigger all at once so that there's no long delay between the time that the sights get on the target, get aligned and the "shot" (dryfire) occurs.

I practice transitioning from one target to another while managing the sights and trigger pull.

I practice moving the gun while I shoot--I try to keep the movement smooth and consistent and avoid any unintentional movement when the "shot" (dryfire) occurs.

I practice moving while I dryfire--advancing, retreating, moving laterally--while keeping the sights aligned reasonably well and while managing the trigger pull.

I practice dryfiring one-handed because this really shows up any little issues with technique--issues that can be masked with a solid two-hand hold.

I try to practice only until I can feel my trigger finger start to tire a little. I don't want to learn bad habits, and technique can suffer when fatigue starts to set in.

I try to practice only as long as I can maintain a good focus on what I'm doing. Lack of concentration can cause technique to get sloppy and I'm trying to perfect my technique.

Page generated in 0.04347 seconds with 8 queries