View Single Post
Old April 23, 2018, 10:29 AM   #88
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
By the way, using a machine rest doesn't guarantee accuracy or consistency--it only eliminates shooter error. If the ammo or gun is the problem then there's nothing a machine rest can do to fix the problem.
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. Let's start by using the proper terminology. Accuracy is hitting your intended target. Precision is the ability to hit the same place repeatedly. Ideally, a Ransom Rest allows the maximum degree of precision (assuming that everything is done right) by eliminating the variation introduced by the shooter. The variance that remains comes from the gun's precision (how consistently the barrel resets to the same exact place), and the variation introduced from ammunition. Ideally wind, temperature, and humidity are consistent for the testing.

If a gun is improperly aimed (or the sights are off) when clamped to a Ransom Rest, the accuracy may be off, but the precision should still be good. If the is not properly clamped or the rig is allowed to move, more variation will occur (less precision).

Basically, I am arguing that a gun that is properly mounted in a Ransom Rest that is properly secured, should yield the maximum degree of precision allowed by the combination of the gun and the ammunition.

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 8 queries