View Single Post
Old September 30, 2017, 09:46 AM   #6
njjr1989

I am probably trying to get too much from the Remington 700. I received it and 12 other rifles from my uncle when he passed away. Serial number shows that it was built in 1962 and is in pristine condition. He was an avid hunter and spent little tine on the range. Once I zeroed it, the first bullet down range always hits near dead center. I believe the problem is most likely heat. By the third round the barrel is really hot. I could probably improve the groups by cooling the barrel between rounds which I am going to try the next time I take it to the range. I use a barrel fan between groups I just have not tried it between rounds. Since this is ma hunting rifle with a thin barrel, it is designed to fire one deadly round and then you go gut you dear or whatever.

I have considered replacing the barrel with a bull barrel with 5R rifling but really don't want to change this rifle for sentimental reasons. Plus for the cost of a barrel and new stock, I could buy a new Remington Precision rifle.

What I was really thinking about when I started this thread was bullet stabilization. As was stated above, I read somewhere that bullets take several hundred yards to fully stabilize and at one hundred yards that is simply not enough distance.

My best results have been with the 168gr Sierra Match King using various loads of IMR 4064. Of course I have tried other combinations of powder and bullets.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to answer this thread. I will continue to experiment with the rifle and see where that goes.

Nick

Page generated in 0.02741 seconds with 8 queries