View Single Post
Old April 6, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Jofaba

The odd man out - Liberal Constitutionalists

Even Google seems to have a problem with me (laughter/applause/cricket silence). Type "Liberal Constitutionalist" into Google search, and it asks if you really meant "Liberal Institutionalists". No, that's not what I meant.

Here's my question, why does it seem almost exclusively black and white? Mind, I know that a lot of you reading this will take offense if I do not say as such; I am talking about the talking heads on tv, and stereotypical responses to news stories and general public discussions, on and offline. That said:

When it comes to gun control debate, why does it seem to boil down to Republican party-liners being the gun advocates, and Democrat party-liners toting the anti-gun stance? I searched online all weekend to find the middle and came up with very little. I found an interesting podcast that had an entire hour long show dedicated to discussing the liberal gun owner and they certainly weren't talking about me. They were talking about Democrats who finally shot a gun,enjoyed it, and that's where the connection ended for those liberals.

Is there something wrong with defending the second amendment while calling for nationalized health care? Is there something wrong with arguing against the assault weapon ban, while simultaneously supporting the legalization of marijuana, and the decriminalization of all other drugs? Is it really that crazy for a non-smoker who HATES the smell of cigarettes finding it absurd to ban cigarettes from bars, and feels that the continuing increase of taxes is criminal? Is it really that disturbing that an atheist thinks that Christians should be allowed to have nativity sets, that if city hall wants to put the ten commandments on the front lawn then let them, that freedom of religious expression does not equal state sponsored religion? Is it impossible to legalize gay marriage and let the churches decide if they accept the unions? Can a man not stand up and say that, as a man, he does not have the right to even enter the abortion debate because, just as a white man cannot comprehend the racism a black man feels, a man cannot comprehend the concept of growing a human inside of their own body? Can you support the troops, but not the war?

I put in the New Member thread post that I was not a one issue voter. Yet I have (in my life, not just here) met exactly one other person who voted for Obama and wants to protect the 2nd Amendment. I'm not looking for validation, I am not looking for agreement. I am making this thread to ask any of you that these questions may apply to (to which your answers were"no"), why?

Why can't there, and isn't there, an allowance of deviating and conflicting beliefs and ideals? Do you think me naive? Are there atheist Republicans? Are there Constitutionalist Democrats? Are there libertarians who support nationalized health care?

I don't fail to fit into a niche because it's cool. It's not, let me tell you; it's simply frustrating. When you can't find an ally anywhere, you're not cool. You're alone. I fail to fit into a niche because none of them entirely make sense to me, and I feel that in order to enter a niche you need to adhere to the code. None of the codes seem to make sense though. They're all about 50/50.

So, in closing, is there any room for the odd man out? Is an oxymoron like a liberal constitutionalist acceptable? Do any of you differ from your party in any fashion, and are you vocal about it, and does it make you uncomfortable or angry that you have to defend your position?

Also, I am curious if anyone voted for Obama. I give him a 50% rating right now. I voted for him thinking that he would do us good. I'd have given him a 40% before his G20 and Europe trip. I'm not looking to find anyone in love with Obama, obviously we all fear for our gun rights; I am just trying to see if 1, anyone will admit to it, and 2, if you regret it. (I don't, I think if we're loud enough we can change his mind).

Lastly, I truly hope that no staff member or anyone here feels that this is a trolling thread. It is absolutely an honest set of questions which I hope will spur debate and while I am new, check my postings thus far. I am a dedicated conversationalist and, staff willing, will be here for quite some time.

I thank you all in advance for your comments, criticism, and the intellectual debate which is sure to follow.

- Joshua

Page generated in 0.02849 seconds with 8 queries