Thread: Barnes X Bullet
View Single Post
Old July 9, 2001, 08:32 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Got the hunting jones & checkin' up on some past posts ....

I use the Barnes XBT .30 cal, 165 gr in .308 Win & .309 JDJ. Both right at (only) 2400 fps.

Shot one spike elk (about 350+ lbs) that a member of my hunting party wounded. After a lengthy trailing, I jumped him at about 15 yds & since he was about to drop over into a canyon (& already lung-shot too boot) I took the only shot I had - right through the right ham. Broke throught the pelvis, richo'd off of & broke two ribs & exited through the sternum - complete penetration. He dropped on the spot.

Three-by mulie (about 130 lbs) broadside at about 35 yds. Just a tad high through both lungs. Complete penetration. Deer hunched up & ran. Tracked immediately (after a smoke) - found dead about 100 yds away.

The deer would've been DOA with anything .243 on up w/most any bullet. Just didn't matter for that shot, but the penetration on the elk was amazing. 15 yards, sure, but 5 FEET of elk & that after breaking through the pelvis ... I'm sold.

BTW, no bullet particles, etc. along wound channel which indicated any bullet separation whatsoever ...

I only use the Barnes for these two shooters (oh, & The Wife's 7-08) soley because of the somewhat "lower than standard velocity." Pricey bullets.

Page generated in 0.03228 seconds with 8 queries