View Single Post
Old May 7, 2013, 05:26 PM   #28
WildBill45

Quote:
I mean 600 grain Brenneke black magic slug at 1500 fps will do just as well as anything a .500 will do
The big, heavy bullets of the 500 will out penetrate the slug in a real bear, and can go end to end in most cases, it is a great gun/round combo for bear. The shotgun is more accurate in most folks hands, but not as handy ... under stress I am dubious about most hitting a fast moving bear with a handgun. I still carry my 500 sometimes in Alaska, but mostly my .458 LOTT, who cares about convenience, it is more convenient than getting dead!!!
Either is better than nothing, but the subject matter was the 500 question. In most cases most folks will not get the barrel on the bear in time, but you MUST carry anyway, if you want to survive.

PS> When I say MOST, that includes me. I have hunted and killed running jack rabbits with my Colt S.A.A. Army in 45 Colt, even killed an inflight Pheasant with it, and other fast moving game with a handgun, BUT, and there always is a but in life, THEY AIN'T A GRIZZ!!! No one knows how they will do in such a situation before actually doing it. If they say so, they are lying...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; May 7, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add a PS section

Page generated in 0.02981 seconds with 8 queries