View Single Post
Old June 8, 2019, 05:39 PM   #28
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
It sure can be a PITA to clean. I noticed a huge difference when shooting quality milsurp ammo such as Hirtenberger or Federal M80 there wasn't much difference between the PTR-91 and an M4.

With the Malaysian or Tula....the rifle gets filthy and is much harder to clean. Having the proper tools such as bore snake, toothbrush, q-tips, shaving brush, and a HK Chamber Brush as well as face brush really helps. Be careful of overcleaning your weapon anyway. More damage is done by frequent improper cleaning than just leaving the weapon dirty, LOL.

Every so often after shooting lots of the cheap, dirtier ammunition, I will give the rifle a thorough cleaning in two stages. The first cleaning knocks off the big chunks. I then bathe the weapon in BreakFree CLP, reassemble, and let it sit in the gun safe for a week or so. A second cleaning is performed that is not only much easier than the first, it leaves the weapon as clean as it ever needs. This time I oil it with LSA.
I have a lot of different tools for cleaning weapons including some I jury rigged myself. I use a flexible shotgun breech cleaning rod and some different sized brushes for cleaning the chamber flutes...Also use an extra long forceps (hemostat?) with patches to clean around the trunnion, and down in the receiver, etc. I strip the bolt every time I clean my PTR, it just seems a bit easier and thorough to clean that way.

I agree that more weapons a worn unnecessarily by over/improper cleaning but this weapon, as well as the AK system, seems to be pretty stout and except for improper technique when scrubbing the bore or using a jointed or steel rod, I think it's safe to scrub her up good. I use Bore Tech Carbon Remover for cleaning and Weapon Shield for lube but there are plenty others just as good.

One thing I found out though, was if you remove the hand guard and clean up the cocking tube inside you have to be very careful not to catch or hook the cocking handle elbow spring (not the long recoil spring) and move it out of whack. I don't do this after every time I shoot her though.

I shoot this PTR a bit and have used all manner of ammo. I have currently been shooting Winchester 7.62X51, 147 FMJBT, Service Grade. It doesn't seem to me to matter which ammo I shoot, she is always a pig but a whole lot of fun to shoot. The roller-lock impulse is a satisfying change of pace from the usual.

I think it was Rudyard Kipling who referred to his Martini-Henry as a "cross-eyed old bitch" Well my PTR can be described as a "filthy old bitch"...but I'll bet Kipling loved his Martini

Page generated in 0.03573 seconds with 8 queries