View Single Post
Old May 12, 2009, 08:09 PM   #24
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro pistolero
Careful, even a shotgun, fired into a crowd from a certain distance could easily and simultaneously impact more than one person.
I think we could dispense with that analogy. No shotgun could in any reasonable way be operationally or ballistically be compared with FA, particularly those that fire rifle cartridges. Apples and oranges completely. Any range demonstration would quickly show that.

Also, I don't find poptime's analogy helpful either. ALL bullets are indiscriminate as they kill whereever they are pointed. RPGs are aimed as well as Stingers and handguns.

I would go back to; "are they appropriate and reasonable for civilian SD?" For those weapons designed fully for the military, I would say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin
The problem with labelling full auto as "dangerous AND unusual" is that it didn't get much of a chance to get to be usual.
I think you are assuming there was a civilian demand for these FA weapons and I see no evidence that there ever was outside of folks like Baby Face Nelson. Sure they were unrestricted and Thompson tried to sell them to civilians but the venture failed. They were designed to be used by the military and had no practical civilian use even in the 1930s, Great Depression notwithstanding.

Page generated in 0.04720 seconds with 8 queries