View Single Post
Old September 9, 2018, 11:03 AM   #38
pblanc

I have received my Ruger PCC 9 mm. So far I have only shot around 100 rounds through it using a Glock 19 magazine. I did shoot it back-to-back with my Hi-Point TS995 on one occasion.

Although the Ruger cost not quite twice as much I do feel it is the much better value. I have had no malfunctions thus far but round count is low. I had malfunctions with the TS995 starting with the first magazine.

Shooting the two back-to-back I shot tighter groups at 40 yds with the Ruger than the Hi-Point, but the comparison is not quite fair as I was using a 3X Nikon scope on the Ruger and a 1X red dot sight on the Hi-Point. Perceived recoil for the two seemed to me to be about the same.

Although I will probably not be using the take-down feature of the Ruger for storage or transport, being able to break it down makes the barrel and chamber very easy to clean. Taking the Ruger apart to get at the bolt and action is vastly quicker and easier than for the Hi-Point, although you have to be careful that the pins securing the trigger group do not fall out and get lost (sort of like the 10/22 in that regard).

The trigger is not great but not bad. I rate it as a bit better than that of the Hi-Point and it seems significantly lighter than the stock trigger that came with both of my Ruger 10/22s. I wouldn't mind a somewhat lighter trigger. Brimstone Gunsmithing told me that they hope to offer trigger work for the Ruger PCC by the end of the year. Their work on my two 10/22 triggers was excellent.

All of the operating controls of the Ruger are vastly more pleasant to use than those of the Hi-Point. Magazine changes are much easier although the location of the magazine release button does not allow the shooter to easily drop the mag while reaching for a fresh one with the left hand. Operating the charging handle is much easier and smoother, releasing the bolt from the locked-open position is a snap, and locking open the bolt works the same way as on the Ruger 10/22 and is easier to do than with the Hi-Point. For a right handed shooter like me, the cross-bolt safety on the PCC 9 is very easy to access and does not require a shift in the grip of my trigger hand.

Page generated in 0.02484 seconds with 8 queries