View Single Post
Old November 21, 2007, 07:44 AM   #2
hunter64

Dillions are great they stand behind there equipment no questions asked but as you pointed out they are expensive. The weakest link in the pro 1000 is the priming system, once the bugs are worked out or avoided they work good. What happens is that if you don't pay attention to how many primers are in the feeder it will jam. You can put a couple of washers behind the back of the frame so the 1000 is leaning slightly forward and this greatly helps, polish the inside of the ramp with 600 grit wet or dry to make sure all the burs on the plastic have been removed and that the primers slide unobstructed. Or you can forget about the worry and just hand prime out of the machine like I do. I back the seating/crimper die out a couple of turns and with the press empty of primers and powder I load up the feed tubes with the brass and have at her. You can crank out alot of empties in short order. Once you are done with that then when I am watching TV I hand prime the brass with my RCBS hand primer, in an hour I can have alot of brass primed, enough to do me for about a month at the range. Now I load up the 1000 with powder and back the deprimer die out a couple of turns and re seat the seating die back in. I have changed the die holders on both dies to the RCBS ones that are locked so there is no movement. Start cranking and it just flies when you don't have to worry about primers and you will never have a jam.

Here is a cheap way to find out. Go to http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/surplus.html and they have reconditioned ones for 96.00 . All they do is strip the machine and replace the guts with new parts, make sure that everything is working and sell it for cheap. If you try the machine and don't like it then sell it on ebay and you will get your money back, probably make money the way ebay stuff goes sometimes.

I have 4 Lee 1000's each one dedicated to one caliber, people think that I am nuts but I have bought all of them used for 60-80 bucks and try and get a caliber conversion for a Dillion for that much. I just unbolt the one that I want, mount it on the bench and away I go.

Page generated in 0.02363 seconds with 8 queries