View Single Post
Old March 4, 2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Your conundrum is exactly why I never considered buying conversion cylinders for a Colt style Cap & Ball revolver. Unless you install a loading gate, you have to pull the wedge, remove the barrel and pull out the cylinder to reload.

Some folks do modify their revolvers with a loading gate, but that is a whole nother story.

I do have a pair of 1858 Remingtons with conversion cylinders.

It is a bit easier to reload with one of these, I lower the loading lever, pull the cylinder pin forward and remove the cylinder. The cylinder backing plate is loose and comes off for reloading. Reverse the process to put every thing back together. It sounds complicated, but it is easier than removing the wedge, and barrel from a Colt style C&B. There are several different styles of conversion cylinders available for the 1858 Remington, but this is the style Taylors sells. I never considered any or the other styles.

To tell you the truth, I can't remember the last time we did a pistol reload on the clock around these parts. All the stage writers realized it was a pain, even with a conventional cartridge revolver, so they stopped writing stages that way. Even with this style, reloads on the clock would be a pain.

Regarding an uncapped nipple, I assure you guys the writers of the SASS Shooter's Handbook are well aware of chain fires. I had one myself back around 1975. This was before SASS existed. I never left an uncapped nipple in those days, always loaded all six. I always attributed that chain fire to a poor fit between a ball and the chamber. Perhaps a slight dent in the ball allowed a void between the ball and the chamber. Anyway, that rule for SASS has been in place for a long, long time. As a matter of fact, I was at a match one day a few years ago when one competitor shooting a pair of C&B 1860 Colts had a multiple discharge while shooting, but he of course had only loaded five rounds, without an uncapped chamber. This guy was no novice, he has been shooting C&B in CAS for many years. Sometimes stuff happens. That's why the guns are always pointed down range and the hammer is never cocked before the gun is pointed down range.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; March 4, 2021 at 11:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.02960 seconds with 8 queries