View Single Post
Old August 6, 2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Sevens

I have a REAL problem when it comes to making a distinction about why some are "better" or more favorites than others... So my post ends up being a love letter to a handful of mine!

My Ruger Mark II 5.5 stainless Bull Barrel was the first rimfire pistol I bought for myself and I can't remember this pistol EVER letting me down. It runs always, it shoots lights-out and it can improve any range session, no matter if I'm shooting well or shooting poorly before I pull it out. Of all of my "common production guns", this one may be the best handgun I have. As my skills have risen, my desire for a better trigger in this one has appeared, but I can still shoot it extremely well.

My S&W Model 17-6 was my first handgun and a gift from my Mom. It also happens to be an odd transitional in that it's a dash-6 but without the gangly full barrel underlug which I much prefer to the newer 17's. It's not as much fun to shoot as my pistols, but it is deadly accurate and a genuine pride & joy.

My '52 Colt Challenger was purchased because my Dad had one and my brother now owns it and I had fond memories of it. The one I snagged a year ago has quite a bit of bluing loss, but WOW, is it a shooter. Pistols built today simply do not "feel" the way this pistol feels, either in trigger pull/break or the feel of the slide gliding across the rails. I am deeply in love with this one.

My GSG 1911-22 is a modern success story, IMO, because it's a low price-point gun made from cheap materials by a hardly known gunmaker and it's enormous fun and it hasn't yet collapsed under the assault I've volleyed at it. Initially, my goal was to shoot it to destruction within the 2-year warranty period but the rimfire ammo crunch crushed those dreams at 4,826 shots fired. The pistol can go a solid 800 rounds before I need to clean it, which is appalling for a rimfire pistol running bulk ammo, IMO. It simply is -NOT- precision accurate like my other favorite rimfire pistols, but the fun factor is high. I do fully expect to shoot this pistol to failure eventually simply because of the materials from which it is constructed.

All of the above are my favorite rimfires!

Page generated in 0.03663 seconds with 8 queries