View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

There is a tutoral thread at the top of the page on loading .45 with lead bullets. It is a good read. I know you said you are using JHP bullets but much of this information applies to all .45 loading.

Loading shorter than the published data about .010 or less normally isn't a big problem with this caliber. I believe you have gone a bit too far to determine how much extra pressure is going to be created. You probably could shoot them without causing a big problem. My guess is they are going to be about equal to a 4.6 grain of powder load with the listed OAL. This is assuming you are using the same bullet listed in the data and the same primer. A different bullet even with the same weight and both being call JHP bullets can be quite different with the same amount of powder. One may seat deeper in the case at it's base than the other. The amount of bullet surface on the rifling also may be different. The hardness of the bullet could also be different. With all these possible differences and probably some others as well is the reason most of us will work a load up from at or near the lowest level to the level where it becomes an accurate load. Generally I find most powders I have used in .45 apc are most accurate over a .3 grain spread. I generally load up a box of 50 at the middle of that spread for further testing. I know it is hard to stop at only a few rounds to test something again but it is better than having to pull a bunch of bullets later.

My test loads normally are in either .1 or .2 grain steps and I load only 5 or 10 rounds for each step while testing. My first concern is they will cycle the pistol and next is accuracy.

Do use a clean target when testing and at least some type of support to remove the human factor as much as possible. You want to be certain there is a hole in the paper for each round fired. When you can't verify a hole was made it is time to check the barrel for an obstruction.

Page generated in 0.03805 seconds with 8 queries