View Single Post
Old May 21, 2011, 01:44 PM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

Low Cost Accurate Rifle?

My reply may or may not help you. I did extensive testing on numerous rifles using a vast array of ammo. I can tell you that I have tested models you will find on this forum with mixed results. As an example: I found a Marlin shooting CCI standards had outstanding accuracy for chickens and pigs, but not for turkeys and rams. In one season, I shot that Marlin for the first 20 rounds then changed to a different rifle for the next 20 rounds. This is the part that may not help: I found a $200 Charles Daly import to be outstanding using Aguila standards. However, I also found that when that particular brand moved to Remington, it was not worth it and I dumped it on rabbit hunters. They are happy, but not steel chicken shooters. Savages, Remingtons, Marlins, etc. I've tried plenty. The end result is this: for superb accuracy at a particular range, you can test and find a number of good brands that may work. As an example, I was demonstrating a Savage to a guy that wanted to buy it. He set a postage stamp some yards away. I asked him at what position do you want to see the hole? I then placed holes in the stamp where he wanted to see them. Trouble with that rifle was that it would not do that across all four ranges of animals I shoot. But for him, he had the perfect backyard ground squirrel neck shot gun.
So to end this long post about accuracy, I shoot steel chickens as well as scaled paper targets. Of all the rifles I've tried I have sold off most of them to small game hunters. One rifle I will not sell is the Charles Daly import for the hunter class and the Kimber for the standard class. The Kimber does not help. I know it is not a low cost gun. But you could change your mind when it comes to getting your particular level of desired accuracy. Somewhere alomg the way, you will test many brands over assorted ranges and then decide for yourself what combo will produce your particular desired result. In a related post about 22 accuracy you can find my posts about the Browning BL-22 and how it failed to impress me. For a particular purpose I had in mind, a low cost Henry did give me what I was looking for and the high cost Browning did not.

Page generated in 0.03701 seconds with 8 queries