View Single Post
Old March 16, 2018, 09:43 AM   #56
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit
Canada (I think) and England, had Beacons, mounted on a 4" back and white striped pole, about 8' tall. The beacon is about 2 feet around, yellow in colure, and blinks constantly. It is totally visible for 100s of yards.
Would it be easier to teach people not to step out in front of moving cars, trucks and buses? We have small poles (three or four feet high) wrapped in reflective tape set in the middle of the street at some crosswalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring
Not about me? Is it about you?

I mean, it clearly does mean a lot to you, enough that this thread has become less about road rage and more about the "dangers and illegality of letting vehicles cross the road and letting others out into traffic" complete with quotes, links, and now an emotional appeal.
As one critic of the idea you've set forth, I make two responsive observations. First, I recognise that your motive is courtesy, a thing good in itself, and surely better than the selfish impatience that can mark other forms of problematic driving. Second, it does mean something to me. I drive a couple of hours a day on average. Inattention, failure to yield while driving in the overtake lane, cellular phone use, road block behaviors, poor lane discipline have all made my commute longer than it needs to be, and can cause road rage in others. I see the value of orderly traffic daily, as well as the cost of its absence.

Your idea of courtesy seems mostly benign and charitable. Can you acknowledge that departing from commonly accepted rules for traffic can cause problems, and isn't appropriate in all environments?

Last edited by zukiphile; March 16, 2018 at 09:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.02956 seconds with 8 queries