View Single Post
Old January 7, 2012, 09:02 PM   #63
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraigWy
We’ve all seen “gun fights” on TV, where Mat Dillon steps out in the street, stands there all quite and calm until the bandit draws then Marshal Dillon out draws him
Your making some good points Kraig, don't mean to veer your thread off course and the following is not exactly what you are speaking of. Others though have mentioned speed and reaction times though.

Arvo Ojala was the man who faced James Arness down in the opening of Gunsmoke every week.

Ojala was "the genuine article" to those he tutored. His speed was clocked and verified a number of times. He could draw, fire, and hit the target! in one-sixth of a second, faster than the eye can blink.

For further proof, Arvo would drop a silver dollar with his gun hand (right) from belt height, then draw and hit the coin before it could fall four inches. This was using "live", or full-power ammunition, not the wax bullets and quarter-loads used today in so-called "fast draw" competitions. In another exhibition, his opponent (using blanks) would face him with his pistol out of the holster and cocked, then nod as he simultaneously fired his revolver, while Arvo would draw and fire before the opponent could get a shot off. He never lost.

When I was a younger man I could do the Bill Jordan trick of having someone hold their hands a foot apart at waist level and when they got ready clap them together. When they did, their hands would have my Colt Trooper Mk III between them.

All this goes to prove that the average reaction time of .5 seconds is slower than the average self initiation time of .25 seconds.

I believe its possible to draw a concealed handgun and fire before someone holding a gun in their hand fires. I've practiced a, for lack of a better term, magazine dump, drill for many, many years. Its purpose is for just such a scenario.

The above is the product of one of those practice drills. Eight shots in 2.08 seconds, with a .53 reaction time and .22 average split. Thats not really that remarkable, till you consider the fact that it was with 230 grain +P ammo and all eight shots hit the torso A-zone of an ISPC target five yards away.

Firing seven or eight shots into the torso still doesn't guarantee a CNS(spinal column) hit, but it increases the odds.

Now the BIG question is would all that, still prevent someone from firing back and hitting me? ...and the answer is who knows. There is no way to predict the outcome. The only thing I know for certain is if I get hurt, I might not be the only one.

I still don't like the odds and hope I don't get in that situation.

Page generated in 0.03846 seconds with 8 queries