Thread: Compound bows
View Single Post
Old October 24, 2011, 01:04 AM   #6
bamaranger

old school

I shoot........don't laugh.......vintage Bear Razorheads. Bought 217 of them 4-5 years ago for $40.00, yeah......forty. Most still in the factory bulk packing, they are the OD colored last generation type. I WAS shooting the stainless/blue ferrule Super Razorhead till they got near impossible to find.

Believe me, ol man Fred never envisioned his Razorhead on a carbon arrow, zipping along at over 250 fps!

I shot recurves with pins, as a kid. Then left the sport for a while. When I came back at age 30+ I bought a very average compound (50% let off) and shot fingers and pins again, then moved to a release. I shot worlds better with the compound, peep and pins, and release.

Go to a bow shop and get a professional to help w/ the set up. Buy some more arrows, you'll need them, as you will break, loose and tear up several. Shoot plenty, and find out what range you can CONSISTENTLY hit a pie plate. Then subtract 5-10 yds and that is your effective range.
Discipline yourself now, NOT to shoot beyond it at deer for any reason.

Back to hunting points. The 2 -edged point has been an acceptable hunting design for what......about 2000 yrs? It will work for me, too. Without springs, cams, pistons and what all else.

You have a close range hunting weapon, despite our advances in material and technology. Accept that and your personal limitations due to ability. The very best bow hunters I know pass up more shots every year than they take.

I've passed up two shots this year myself. (bad light, bad angle)

Page generated in 0.03832 seconds with 8 queries