View Single Post
Old December 27, 2019, 11:40 AM   #8
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
He does have to abide by Colorado's magazine restriction. That's why he asked the question.

The key point is that he has to abide by Colorado law, so what does the law actually prohibit? Does it prohibit the possession of any magazine with a capacity greater than 15, or is there a grandfather cause? From the responses given, it appears that there is a grandfather clause, which means that the law does not automatically prohibit possession of all 15+ round magazines, across the board.

An interesting question is how (or if) the law would apply to a resident of a state that has no magazine restriction who is visiting or passing through Colorado. If the visitor has a 15+ round magazine that was purchased after the July 1, 2013, cutoff date ... is that magazine legal in Colorado or not? The answer would depend on eactly how the law is worded. The person obtained the magazine legally in his/her home state and possesses it legally in his/her home state. If the text cited above is the actual text of the law:

then my not-a-lawyer opinion is that the magazines are not legal in Colorado because they were not "lawfully owned prior to July 1, 2013."

Do you know when your magazines were purchased?

I referenced guns to carry.com, and it doesn’t say anything about a grandfather clause before 2013 so, take that for whatever it’s worth- it just says that after July 13th, magazines over 15 rounds are prohibited. But from viewing the links that you posted, it seems to me that anybody; doesn’t matter if you’re out of state or a Colorado resident that, if you have a large capacity magazine that was made before 2013 then you can have it whether you’re a resident or an out-of-state visitor.

Also from the link you posted, I didn’t see anywhere about whether or not if you’re traveling to, or through the state but in this case it doesn’t matter anyway because the OP stated he was traveling to Colorado, not through it.

But to answer your question concerning my 17-round magazine that I had with me when I went, I don’t know when it was manufactured but, I bought it new at a store probably several months after I bought the gun back in ‘16 so, I’m pretty sure if I would have gotten caught with it that I coulda had a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page generated in 0.02920 seconds with 8 queries