View Single Post
Old December 8, 2017, 11:23 AM   #28
briandg

guffy, I have some questions. First, were they all the same lot, do you think? They were all the same maker, I think Norma, weatherby held it only to themselves. That doesn't account for the 7, though. Do you think that the weatherby, specifically, was defective, with powder that deteriorated? The idea of electrical deterioration through some contamination is reasonable, dirty or contaminated metals joined together can migrate together. if that corrosion was green, it seems pretty certain that the problem was some sort of metal salts or an acidic contamination. Since the stuff is compressed together with no gaps in some microscopic contact points, some form of vacuum welding may have contributed? That should not really have caused corrosion.

I didn't mean to say that all ammo will last forever, but we have seen military ammo that remained completely viable. In the case of failures, I believe, from the reports, that most of them are primers, that is the one essential thing that can most easily ruin a load. A solid primer should still light up a portion of weakened powder.

Ammo is like any organic compound, specifically the powder, it can't last forever, and copper based metals corrode fairly easily. Most of it, especially if the standard of manufacturing and storage are high, you should get long storage life out of.

I personally agree with light vacuum storage, or nitrogen storage if possible. Adding a small piece of dry ice to the can before absolutely sealing it would also fill it with inert gas.

Jim, was it the heat? If the house burned and high temperature smoke and steam surrounded the cartridges for an hour or so, reaching maybe 200 to 300degrees but no actual flame, I suspect that both primer and powder were started on the path of absolute ruin. I don't think that the wetness had a strong effect, but maybe I'm wrong.

Blazer maybe shouldn't even exist. Aluminum isn't appropriate for the sudden stretch and big boom of firing.it's brittle and inflexible. It just isn't right.

Page generated in 0.02187 seconds with 8 queries