View Single Post
Old May 24, 2010, 06:56 PM   #21
Blue Monster

Get 100% Tung Oil not finish as mentioned. Get a one once bottle with a sealed lid. I use little plastic twist top oiler bottles, I buy them by the dozen.

30% Tung Oil 70% Mineral spirits for the base sealing coat.
Apply liberally, but rub it in as up go so when you are done it looks moist not wet. Get a lot of oil into the wood here and take a long time doing it.
Wait 24-48 hours till cured (hazy).
Touch it with 600+ paper if you like or 0000 steel wool (don't do this with checkering).
Take the same bottle and top it off with Tung bring the mix to 50/50+ Tung.
Now rub in the next coat, take your time and allow the process to create a little friction (easier on stocks), buff till almost dry. Cure 24-48 hours.

Repeat as much as you like but at least 2 or 3 time increasing slightly the blend with more Tung but never let it get to all Tung always have some dilution.

Once it is done buff it with a lint free dry cloth like you would a leather boot.

Add a little oil, rub it in and re-buff a couple times a year or as needed.

Don't hurry it, don't try and warm it with heat (lights), a true hand rubbed finish is just that. I think you will be pleased with the outcome. And if you ding it.. you can usually steam it right back out.

You can do the same thing with Linseed oil but it will darken more with time and demand a little more attention than the Tung. Plus it's not as resilient as Tung and blows up easier.

Page generated in 0.02577 seconds with 8 queries