View Single Post
Old May 27, 2019, 07:17 AM   #1
fisherman

My take on Taurus

As I promised, I would test my new 380 Spectrum when I got it and try to give you an honest evaluation by an amateur. I got the gun from my dealer when we returned to the frozen North from wet, cold, South Texas. Weather bad this winter down there. As far as looks goes, I love it. It is stainless with white frame and turquoise grips. I like innovation and "different". I cleaned the grease out of the slides and oiled it with a light gun oil. Went to the range with my other two semis also in tow. Plan was to shoot 50 rounds through all three guns. Of course I had to start with my "new toy", the Spectrum. The gun would not feed a round out of the clip when I racked the slide. The slide stuck open on the lip of the first shell and the shell would not leave the clip. I turned the gun over and gave the slide a light tap on the wood shooting bench at the gun club. It snapped shut and loaded the round. The trigger pull is obviously the safety. I have never been a fan of heavy triggers on anything but actually got used to it after about 21 rounds and was hitting center of mass constantly at 15 feet. Since those initial firings I can hit about an 8" circle in center of mass with point and shoot method and rapid fire. The almost no recoil makes it especially pleasant to shoot and helps stay on target during dump the gun shooting. The gun never jammed, failed to fire, or failed to load after the initial fail to load on that first round. It did the same thing for two more clips and then it has not happened since. Interesting, but no explanation as to what caused it or cured it. Perhaps it was just not final fit and finished like we somethings believe is done and it just wore in. I am not sure. I decided to start an experiment to shoot all three of these guns for three 50 round separate visits to the range without cleaning. After two more trips to the range and 50 rounds each visit, there were absolutely no issues. The 22 PolyPly, 9MM Slim, and the 380 Spectrum all are shooting flawlessly. When I got home on Saturday I just could not help myself: I cleaned the guns. I just do not like leaving a gun dirty. It is against everything I have done in these 75 years plus of life. So now I am looking at the Curve. I just love "different", and Taurus has certainly provided that. They also shoot as well as anything I have seen at the range.
The only problem with my Purple poly ply and my White and Turquoise Spectrum is the number of people that want to look at them at the range. Always a few folks around that have never seen a purple or a white pistol !!
Always bring it.

Page generated in 0.03567 seconds with 8 queries