View Single Post
Old January 18, 2023, 12:13 AM   #162
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you live in NY and wonder why your rights are held in contempt, the answer is found in how your neighbors vote.
I will add something to this, from personal experience, and that is "history".

Where ever (and when ever) we grow up, the laws in effect when we get old enough to recognize and understand them, become the norm. They are just, right, and proper, (even when they actually aren't) and are the way "we've always done it". Its our personal history, and it influences people's thinking and voting habits.

The Bruen ruling was not just landmark its arguably a "sea change". It tossed out a section of NY law that had been the law and never challenged not only my entire life, but my father's entire life and HIS father's entire life.

IT wasn't until I moved to the other side of the country that it even occurred to me that you could have a pistol without needing a permit that required 5 sets of fingerprints, 4 photographs, 3 character references, and a partridge in a pear tree..but the state I moved to, seemed to work fine without that....

When I was a pre-driving teen there were 3 actual gunshops I could reach on my bicycle. The last time I went back to NY in 2003 to bury my Dad, there was one shop, 80 miles away, that I had to use to get some of his guns shipped to my home dealer....

Things change, people and attitudes change, our rights, don't, but the percentage of people even remotely interested in guns and gun rights back there is much lower than other parts of the country. Those who are, are pretty passionate about it, and rightly so, but they are hugely outnumbered by people who consider other things more important, and by people who actively try to make guns as difficult, and expensive to use legally as they can.

NY also has the situation common to several other states (and unfortunately it applies where I live as well), and that is that the bulk of the population is clustered in a few major urban areas, and will pass anything they are told will make them safer or make their lives better.

This is the downside of Democracy. Three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner is democracy. It isn't always the best system of governance.

Page generated in 0.02131 seconds with 8 queries