View Single Post
Old January 15, 2023, 06:04 PM   #119
2damnold4this

Thanks for the suggestions on how I might comply with the new regulation.

I purchased the AR pistol as a light weight option to carry at the hunting land during the off season. One of my favorite recreational activities is walking the hunting land and changing my camera cards. I wanted a light weight firearm that I could get quick hits up close and still have a reasonable chance of taking a feral pig or coyote at up to 150 yards or so. The AR pistol was light weight and I added a brace to it to have a convenient place for a rear sling attachment point. A ten round Pmag with Hornady GMX ammo and an inexpensive Sig red dot made for a light weight package that is reasonably quick up close and still able to hit a ten inch plate at 200 yards.

There are obviously other firearms that could fill this role but the AR pistol worked for me.

From the great suggestions posted here it seems like I have some options:

1) Register it as an SBR. I did an E-file back in November for a form 4 item that is still in ATF Purgatory, so my finger prints and photo should still be fresh. I assume if I registered the firearm, I could change the buffer tube and put a proper stock on it that would no doubt make the firearm more shootable for me.

2) I could get rid of the brace and put a sling mount on the buffer tube or castle nut and hope the ATF doesn't make another rule change that makes all AR pistols NFA items.

3) I could turn it into a rifle. I could ditch the short barrel for a light weight non NFA barrel and associated hardware, change the buffer tube, add a proper stock, and the result might work fine for which I was using the braced pistol. This would be the most expensive option but it might be the most fun.

I'm sorry if my question or thoughts on this new ATF regulation offended anyone, but I do want to comply with this new regulation and I'm not an expert on the topic.

Page generated in 0.02634 seconds with 8 queries