View Single Post
Old January 8, 2023, 04:40 PM   #77
dogtown tom

Quote:
44 AMP
I THINK, that the receiver is classified by the maker (and registered as such with the govt) before it goes out the door. Rifle, pistol or "other".
Manufacturers report what they have made to ATF, that doesn't mean what they report is accurate.

Colt makes an AR they call the "OEM" https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...6-161-lpgb-blk

Colt calls this a carbine (rifle) ....it clearly does not meet the definition of "rifle" in federal law because it has no shoulder stock. Any dealer receiveing this model would accurately record it in his bound book as an "Other" and when transferring to a buyer record it as a receiver on the Form 4473.

Quote:
I believe you are correct, you can turn a pistol into a rifle and back, you cannot turn a rifle into a pistol unless you go the NFA route (because in the govt view, once a rifle, always a rifle and shortening it doesn't turn it into a pistol it turns it into a short barrel rifle (SBR) which, like "sawed off" shotguns is an NFA Item.
You cannot turn a rifle into a pistol ever, not even via the NFA.
If you have:
An AR pistol, you can go pistol>rifle>pistol.
An AR rifle will always be a rifle unless made into a Short Barreled Rifle via a Form 1.

Both of those can be configured as:

If this firearm started as a rifle, it may look like an AR pistol.....but its not, its an SBR because its a firearm made from a rifle.

Quote:
And, I believe a receiver classed as "other" allows you to go either way and back, but I'm not certain about that.
Well, ALL receivers and frames are "other firearms" because they do not meet the definition of rifle or handgun.
While you can certainly go either way in assembling either a handgun or a long gun from a receiver, only firearms first assembled as a handgun can be subsequently reassembled as a rifle, then back to pistol.

If the receiver is first assembled as a rifle it can never be reassembled as a pistol.

First a rifle, always a rifle.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Page generated in 0.03086 seconds with 8 queries