View Single Post
Old January 5, 2023, 06:28 PM   #108
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Quote:
Then there's a more nuanced question. I understand your argument: "If I would normally carry in your establishment but you don't allow me to do so, then you assume the responsibility for keeping me as safe as I would have done for myself." But this is New York state, where only a tiny percentage of people have carry permits. How is a business owner supposed to know which of his/her customers are the people with carry permits and who do actually carry regularly? Because under your argument, those are the ONLY customers who should be eligible for any special protection. Should confirmed anti-gun customers, who never have and never will carry a firearm, receive the same level of protection as those customers who are deprived of their right to carry by this law and the business's failure to post a "Concealed Carry Allowed" sign?
AB, I think you're "off target" with this one.

The principle has nothing to do with NY, the percentage of people who have permits or actually do carry or what the business knows or doesn't about them. That's irrelevant. The business is either legally responsible for protecting everyone on their premises, or they are not. And this brings us right back to the difference between existing law and what we feel is "right".
In general, you are correct. But Metal god's question (paraphrased) was, "If the state makes it illegal for someone with a carry permit to carry in a business, doesn't that make it the business owner's responsibility to provide equivalent security for the permit holder?

That doesn't address the general public or the general principle you're talking about. The question, properly parsed, only applies to people who have carry permits and who carry regularly. If I have a carry permit "just because," but I never carry, then in reality this law would never affect me, because I'm no more disarmed by the law than I am by my choice to lave my gun at home in the safe.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.02694 seconds with 8 queries