View Single Post
Old December 23, 2022, 05:12 PM   #1
DaleA

Everytown misrepresentations on guns

Yeah, who here is surprised about that.

Still, I ran across their,
"what we in the Royal Navy used to refer to as LIES"
(I plagiarized this from a book I'm reading because it seemed so appropriate)

in an article about a two-year old who apparently picked up a gun laying loose in the house and fired it and the bullet struck the parents. The headline of the article reads:

Quote:
A 2-Year-Old In Maine Got Ahold Of Loaded Handgun And Shot Both Of His Parents
which makes it sound like the kid went off on a shooting spree instead of a single discharge from the firearm.

In the article there is some info from Everytown and I went to the Everytown web site to see if the info was still there (I didn't think it would be) but it is still up:

Quote:
1. Each year, 1.2 million online ads offering firearms for sale are listed that would not legally require a background check to be completed.
2. Nearly 1 in 9 prospective buyers who respond to ads from unlicensed sellers would not pass a background check, a rate seven times higher than the denial rate at licensed gun stores or in other contexts where background checks are required.
3. Following an Armslist online sale, the face-to-face transaction can be completed in under three minutes.
4. In states that require background checks on all gun sales, 84 percent of unlicensed sellers told prospective purchasers they would need to undergo a background check prior to the sale. But in states without these laws, only 6 percent of unlicensed sellers indicated a background check would be needed.
I am responsible for bolding the points I found particularly egregious.

The Everytown site can be found here:
https://everytownresearch.org/report...m-marketplace/

The article about the two-year old can be found here:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...73112#comments

Last edited by DaleA; December 24, 2022 at 02:52 AM. Reason: On the advice of council I removed 'law' from title. (AMP 44 part of the 'council')

Page generated in 0.02534 seconds with 8 queries