View Single Post
Old October 25, 2011, 11:29 PM   #11
Stick_man

Quote:
It is a matter of price gouging. It is just the principle of it.
I don't believe that to be the case. Have you checked the different metals prices lately? The Barnes bullets are solid copper. Copper is a LOT more expensive than lead. Their pricing is a little higher than other bullets, but not too much different from the other "premium" bullets. They are NOT in the business of price gouging, any more than Nosler, Scirrocco, or other high end bullet manufacturers.

My experience has shown that the TSX and TTSX bullets are finicky, but once you have your load dialed into what your gun likes, they are indeed match grade and will shoot as well as anything else out there. I have also found very consistent weights as well.

In my opinion, the Barnes bullets are overkill for deer. I use them for elk where I want great weight retention and max penetration/expansion. For deer, most anything will work. No need to spend the extra amount on a "premium" bullet for the thin-skinned deer or pronghorn.

Due to the design of the TSX and TTSX, you can actually achieve the same velocity with less pressure than standard bullets. They have less "bearing" surface making contact with your bore, so there is less friction and less fouling.

Are they worth the extra cost? For some applications (elk, moose, bear, etc) I would definitely have to say yes. Of course, I realize that is a matter of personal preference. What I see as a great deal may be seen as a total ripoff to somebody else, and vice-versa.

Page generated in 0.04058 seconds with 8 queries