View Single Post
Old May 26, 2008, 10:26 PM   #17
Mike in VA

I've only taken two CHP classes, VA (8 hrs) & NM (16 hrs). Both were LCD (lowest commom denominator) classes, aimed at first time handgun users who want to obtain a carry permit. They covered basic nomenclature, firearm safety, maintenance, legal requirements and considerations of CCW, and range time. That's a lot to cover in not much time.

This is due to the desire/pressure to keep the permit process 'affordable', but it sure isn't what I'd consider adequate or good public policy, but it is what it is. Most CCW classes meet the minimum state requirements, if you want more, it'll cost more, fact of life (& the best costs a lot more, eh)?

I have since taken additional training, done a lot of reading, and a lot of practicing, and I would urge anyone who considers themself a responsible firearms owner who carries in public to do likewise (choir, forgive me), but it remains incumbent on the individual to educate themselves to whatever degree they feel is appropriate.

We all like to make fun of 'public education' and remind each other how there's a lawyer attached to every round we fire. I don't blame you for feeling that the basic class was inadequate, but having recognized that, the next step is up to you. Sure, training is expensive, but it pales compared to the cost of ignorance. Thus endeth the sermon - JMO, YMMV.

Page generated in 0.03467 seconds with 8 queries