View Single Post
Old January 14, 2020, 07:39 AM   #11
RaySendero

Quote:
TruthTellers wrote:
Some time ago I had made a thread asking about improving a handload using the Berry's 71 grain .32 bullet for use in .32 H&R Magnum, even tho the bullet is meant for .32 ACP.
During shooting, I noticed some rounds were noticeably weaker than the rest .....

..... If you're wondering why I'm so stuck in the mud with using this Berry's bullet, it's because it's the cheapest .32 bullet I can find, normally 5 cents a bullet when on sale.
TT, A few years ago I was working up a practice/plinking handload for my 44spcl. I noticed a similar issue like you with some rounds having much weaker recoil. So here's the story - May apply to what your seeing.

I wanted an inexpensive practice/plinking reload that would shoot to the same POI as my PD load. So I pick a light inexpensive bullet and Red Dot powder I always have. Loaded up 5 rounds each of both an 85% and a 94% maximum. They shot OK to POA but the velocity variation was unusually high and I could feel that difference in the recoils

So next I loaded some 85%s to two different COLs. 1 was the same as above and the other was shorter:

For one group of the longer COLs, I shot the pistol after holding the barrel up as to put the powder to the rear of the case - Velocity averaged 850 fps. For the next group of the longer COLs, I shot the pistol after holding the barrel down as to put the powder forward in the case - Velocity averaged 571 fps.

For one group of the shorter COLs, I shot the pistol after holding the barrel up as to put the powder to the rear of the case - Velocity averaged 896 fps. For the next group of the shorter COLs, I shot the pistol after holding the barrel down as to put the powder forward in the case - Velocity averaged 810 fps.

I've since used the shorter COL .

Last edited by RaySendero; January 14, 2020 at 03:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.02850 seconds with 8 queries