View Single Post
Old August 29, 2001, 06:45 AM   #22
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
50% of the time they make a slightly bigger hole than fmj.
You need to buy better hollowpoints. Even if they do expand only 50% of the time, that's a lot better expansion track record than FMJ.

Quote:
Over penetration once you hit the bad guy is not a real concern.
Easy to say, until it happens. The idea that I am reponsible for the final resting place of every round I shoot is somewhat important to me.

Quote:
Missing is a greater danger to innocent bystanders than over penetration.
I train to avoid that, too; see above.

Quote:
Hollow points have several disadvantages:

UNDER penetration especially on a moving badguy (you hit his arm or side and the expanding bullet slows enough so no vitals are touched.
There are many quality hollowpoints on the market right now that penetrate 9-12 inches or more, reliably, and expand even after defeating heavy clothing. Barrier protocols have really changed the nature of the beast

Quote:
Lesser feed reliability on semi autos than FMJ.
Not in most quality modern autos. Even my 1911 is very tolerant of JHP's. Just test the round you plan on using in the pistol you plan on carrying.

Quote:
High cost of practicing with the defense ammo you shoot, leads you to practice with other ammo.
As long as it's the same weight and muzzle velocity, so what?

Quote:
The tendency to carry the same rounds in you gun for a long period of time, leading to rechambering and possible setback.
Keep track of the round you chamber. Avoid rechambering it. If you do, measure it first for OAL/setback. Shoot off at least one magazine of your carry load every few range visits and replace it with fresh rounds. Then again, some folks couldn't tell you how much air was in their car tires to the nearest 20psi...

Quote:
Yep a logical comparison of FMJ and hollowpoints leads me to conclude that FMJ is better.
It led me someplace different.

Quote:
Shot placement is the real key, and sufficient penetration on a moving target to impact vital organs
That is quite true.

Page generated in 0.02748 seconds with 8 queries